Alabama Department of Labor


It is against the law for this recipient of Federal financial assistance to discriminate on the following bases:
  • Against any individual in the United States, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (includes pregnancy, child birth, and related medical conditions, sex stereotyping, transgender status, and gender identity), national origin (includes limited English proficiency), age, disability, political affiliation or belief; or
  • Against any beneficiary of, applicant to, or participant in programs financially assisted under Title I of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), on the basis of the individual’s citizenship status or participation in any WIOA Title I-financially assisted program or activity.

The recipient must not discriminate in any of the following areas:
  • Deciding who will be admitted, or have access, to any Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Title I-financially assisted program or activity;
  • Providing opportunities in, or treating any person with regard to, such a program or activity; or
  • Making employment decisions in the administration of, or in connection with, such a program or activity.

Recipients of federal financial assistance must take reasonable steps to ensure that communications with individuals with disabilities are as effective as communications with others. This means that, upon request at no cost to the individual, recipients are required to provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services to qualified individuals with disabilities.

What to Do If You Believe You Have Experienced Discrimination

If you think that you have been subjected to discrimination under a WIOA Title I-financially assisted program or activity, you may file a complaint within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation with either:

For WIOA Programs and Activities:
Lillian Patterson, State-level Equal Opportunity Officer
Alabama Department of Commerce
401 Adams Avenue
P.O. Box 304106
Montgomery, Alabama 36130-4106
(334) 242-5861
Alabama Relay: 711 (TTY or Voice)


For Employment Service and Unemployment Insurance
Programs and Activities:
Tonya D. Scott
Equal Employment Opportunity Manager
EEO & Grievance Section
Alabama Department of Labor
649 Monroe Street
Montgomery, AL 36131
(334) 956-5835
Alabama Relay: 711 (TTY or Voice)
Director, Civil Rights
Center U.S. Department of Labor
200 Constitution Avenue, NW, Room N-4123
Washington, DC 20210
or electronically as directed on the CRC Web site at

If you file your complaint with the recipient, you must wait either until the recipient issues a written Notice of Final Action, or until 90 days have passed (whichever is sooner), before filing with the Civil Rights Center (see address above).

If the recipient does not give you a written Notice of Final Action within 90 days of the day on which you filed your complaint, you may file a complaint with CRC before receiving that Notice. However, you must file your CRC complaint within 30 days of the 90-day deadline (in other words, within 120 days after the day on which you filed your complaint with the recipient). If the recipient does give you a written Notice of Final Action on your complaint, but you are dissatisfied with the decision or resolution, you may file a complaint with CRC. You must file your CRC complaint within 30 days of the date on which you received the Notice of Final Action.
Click to see this notice in
Spanish             French             Korean
Who may file a complaint with the Alabama Department of Labor?

  • Employees of the Alabama Department of Labor may use the grievance process to resolve complaints for any matter related to their present position. Grievances may be filed based upon action taken by the Department or upon lack of action taken by the Department. However, disagreements about performance appraisal decisions cannot be resolved through the grievance process.
  • Job seekers, UI claimants, and members of the public at large may file a complaint based on harassment or discrimination suffered while participating or attempting to participate in any Employment Service or Unemployment Compensation program or activity.
What information must a complaint contain?
A complaining party may use the Alabama Department of Labor Complaint/Grievance Information Form (CGIF) to file a complaint with the Alabama Department of Labor. The complaint does not have to be filed on a form, but it must be filed in writing and must contain the following information:

  • The complaining party's name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address, if available;
  • The name, address, and telephone number of the respondent (the individual or entity the complaining party alleges is responsible for the discrimination);
  • A description of the alleged violation (the event that caused the complaining party to believe that his or her rights were violated) with enough detail to determine jurisdiction and whether the violation, if true, would violate the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity provisions of WIOA;
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation(s); and
  • The complaining party's signature or the signature of the complaining party's authorized representative.

Complaints filed directly with the U.S. Department of Labor, Civil Rights Center (CRC) must be filed using the Complaint Information Form (CIF) and Privacy Action Consent Form which may be obtained from CRC at the link provided or from ADOL’s EO Officer. If the CIF and Privacy Act Consent Form are not submitted initially, CRC will send these forms to the complainant to be completed, signed, and returned. CRC will not process a complaint without these forms.
May I file a complaint with EEOC?

  • Yes, any individual who believes their employment rights have been violated may file a charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You may contact the EEOC by calling-1-800-669-4000 or 1-800-669-6820 (TTY), emailing, or using the online assessment tool at
  • The charge, i.e., complaint must be in writing and contain the same information set out above. The charge must be in writing and contain the same information set out above.

Is my employer required to grant my request for a reasonable accommodation for my disability?

  • The ADA applies to private employers with 15 or more employees, state and local governments, employment agencies, and labor unions. If your employer meets this criteria, then yes, it must provide a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitaion of a qualified applicant or employee with a disability if doing so would not impose and "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business or pose a direct threat (i.e., a significant risk of substantial harm to the employee or others).

Are you an ADOL employee with questions about grievances, filing complaints, unfair treatment, suspension and termination conferences, poster compliance, etc.?

Contact Tonya D. Scott at or (334) 956-5835.
Are you an employee of a public (other than ADOL) or a private employer and want to report discrimination?

  • The Alabama Department of Labor does not have the authority to investigate complaints against other public agencies or private employers.
  • Contact your employer's Human Resources Division to ask about reporting discrimination or
  • Contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the federal agency responsible for enforcing non-discrimination in the workplace. Contact EEOC at 1-800-669-4000 or
    1-800-669-6820 (TTY for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only)
    1-844-234-5122 (ASL Video Phone for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only)

Have questions about unpaid wages, hours worked, vacation pay, etc.?

  • Contact the Wage and Hour Division at 866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243) (TTY: 1-877-889-5627) or locally at (334) 223-7450 in
    Montgomery, (205) 536-8570 in Birmingham, or (251) 441-5311 in Mobile.
Have questions cabout or want to report violations of Alabama Child Labor Law?

Want to report unsafe/hazardous working conditions?

  • Call the US Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) at 800-321-6742 to report emergencies, unsafe working conditions, safety and health violations, to file a complaint, or to ask safety and health questions.
Disability Services and Assistive Technology

The Alabama Department of Labor ensures equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in the administration of programs and activities. Equal opportunity includes:

  • Applying nondiscrimination prohibitions.
  • Providing reasonable accommodations and reasonable modifications.
  • Administering programs in the most integrated setting appropriate.
  • Engaging in effective communication.
  • Ensuring accessibility of programs, facilities, information and communication technology.