Alabama Department of Labor


How do I get a job with Alabama Department of Labor?

  • Please visit State Personnel website at to fill out an application, or call (334) 242-3389.

How do I find out what job openings are available at Alabama Department of Labor?

  • Please contact State Personnel at (334) 242-3389 or visit their website at for current job listings.

What if I have questions about child support or any social service benefit?

  • Please contact the Department of Human Resources at (334) 242-1310.

What if I am calling from an attorney's office requesting Employment Verification to place a lien on someone's property or garnish someone's wages?

  • Please contact the State Comptroller's Office at (334) 242-7050.

What if I am calling to verify employment and I have written authorization?

  • You may send a fax to the (334) 956-5841.


EEO & Grievance Section

Who may file a complaint?

  • Any person who believes that either he/she, or any specific class of individuals, has been or is being subjected to discrimination prohibited by WIA or 29 CFR Part 37, may file a written complaint, either by him/herself or through a representative.

Where can I file a discrimination complaint?

  • A complaint may be filed with Alabama Department of Labor or directly with the Civil Rights Center at the following addresses:
Tonya D. Scott, EEO Officer
Human Resources Division
Alabama Department of Labor
649 Monroe Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36131
(334) 956-5835
TTY:  Dial 711 for Alabama Relay Center
Fax: (334) 242-2048
OR Director of the Civil Rights Center
U.S. Department of Labor
200 Constitution Avenue, NW
Room N-4123
Washington, D.C. 20210
(202) 693-6502
TTY: (202) 693-6515

When must a complaint be filed?

  • A complaint must be filed within 180 days of the alleged discrimination, unless the Director, Civil Rights Center, extends the time for good cause shown.

What information must a complaint contain?

  • A complaining party may use the Alabama Department of Labor Discrimination Complaint Form, DIR-EEO&G-2, Catalog #51155, to file a complaint with Alabama Department of Labor, or complete and submit the Complaint Information Form (CIF) DL 1-2014a to the U.S. Department of Labor, Civil Rights Center.  The complaint does not have to be filed on a form, but it must be filed in writing and must contain the following information:
  • The complaining party's name, address and telephone number;
  • The name, address, and telephone number of the respondent employer or employment agency that is alleged to have discriminated and the number of employees, if known;
  • A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused the complaining party to believe that his or her rights were violated);
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation(s); and
  • The complaining party's signature or the signature of the complaining party's authorized representative.

May I file a complaint with EEOC?

  • Yes, any individual who believes their employment rights have been violated may file a charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), by calling-1-800-669-4000 or 1-800-669-6820 TTY.  The charge must be filed within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation.  The charge must be in writing and contain the same information set out in number 4 above.  The complaint must be filed with the individual's employer prior to being filed with EEOC.  

Is my employer required to provide a reasonable accommodation for my disability?

  • An employer must provide a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitation of a qualified applicant or employee with a disability if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business.

Who may file a grievance?

  • Employees of the Alabama Department of Labor may use the grievance process to resolve complaints for any matter related to their present position.  Grievances may be filed based upon action taken by the Department or upon lack of action taken by the Department.  Disagreements about performance appraisal decisions can not be resolved through the grievance process.

Employees and Clients of Alabama Department of Labor questions about discrimination?

Alabama Department of Labor employee questions about grievances, filing complaints, disability parking, unfair treatment, and suspension and termination hearings, posters, etc.?

Private Business employers and employees' questions about discrimination?

  • Contact EEOC at 1-800-669-4000 or (205) 212-2100.

All questions concerning wages, hours worked, vacation pay, etc.?

  • Contact Wage and Hour Board at (866) 487-9243 or (205) 397-7100 or

All questions concerning labor, child labor, employer policies, etc.?